Betty Taylor Memorial Award
for Emerging Artists in Visual Arts and Crafts
Betty Taylor took her first art lesson at the tender age of eight, and her love of the Arts stayed with her throughout her life. Betty spent most of her career in Michigan where her work was handled by galleries. It was there that she personally experienced and understood the struggles, persistence, and need for assistance as an emerging artist.
After Betty’s death in 1990, her husband, Ross Taylor, established the Betty Taylor Memorial Fund with Community Foundation of Henderson County to promote and support emerging artists who have financial need and are studying in the field of visual arts and crafts. It is the Foundation’s pleasure to keep the memory and spirit of Betty Taylor alive with the award.
To promote emerging artists who are in need of financial support and are studying in the field of visual arts and crafts.
The Betty Taylor Memorial Award is funded by Community Foundation of Henderson County, working in tandem with the Arts Council of Henderson County. Applicants for the Arts Council’s Artists Support Grant program will be eligible for consideration to receive the Betty Taylor Memorial Fund award.
- Individual artists and small, unincorporated groups of collaborating artists
- Applicants may be either emerging artists or established artists and should possess a strong record of artistic accomplishment appropriate to the stage of the applicant’s career
- The applicant must reside or work in Henderson, Polk or Transylvania counties for a minimum of one year prior to April 2022.
- Applicant may not be a board or staff member of any of the sponsoring entities. In addition, the applicant may not be a spouse, family member, or significant other of a board or staff member of any of the sponsoring entities.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age and not be enrolled in a degree or certificate program
- Previous Taylor Award recipients are not eligible
- Each member of a small unincorporated group of collaborating artists must meet the eligibility requirements and shall not circumvent these requirements by applying for what is really a collaborative effort.
The Betty Taylor Memorial Award is designed to award projects that will advance the applicant’s career as an emerging artist in the field of visual arts and crafts. The relationship of the project to the career advancement of the applicant must be clearly defined in the “Narrative” section of the application. Conducting deeper study is a key element to the Taylor Award, and the applicant will need to elaborate on study method, mentoring, apprenticeships, etc.