Whether you’re choosing the perfect Christmas tree, learning in a workshop with friends, or picking out a great gift for grandma, North Carolina farms are open this holiday season with a variety of agritourism experiences for everyone to enjoy.
“North Carolina is home to more than 1,000 agritourism farms, and each offers a unique experience,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “As you make plans for family this holiday season, I encourage you to consider an agritourism activity and learn more about the state’s $87 billion agriculture industry.”
Following is a list of farms offering special agritourism activities this holiday season and into the winter. Visitors are encouraged to verify event dates and hours of operations before they go.
Western North Carolina
- Darnell Farms in Byson City will offer Christmas trees, wreaths, candy, lights and more through New Year’s Eve.
- Good Karma Ranch in Iron Station is having a Holiday Open House on Dec. 22 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors will have the chance to meet the alpacas and purchase last-minute gifts in the farm store.
- Miss Angels Farm in Mt. Airy offers educational field trips that teach about pruning, grafting and fruit-tree care. The farm will offer an outdoor Woodturning Pizza for Lovers event on Feb. 14. Reservation is required.
- OakMoon Farm in Bakersville will hold several goat-related workshops during the winter season including a goat husbandry workshop on Feb. 2; doe care and kidding intensive workshop on March 9; and rearing goat kids workshop on March 10. See website for more details and registration.
- Trosly Farm in Elk Park features a farm store with fresh breads, handmade chocolates, farm-raised pork, spices, gifts and more. The farm store is open Saturdays through Dec. 22, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Woodland Harvest Mountain Farm in West Jefferson will launch an eight-month series where the farm will plan, design and implement a cordwood-and-cob, natural timber structure on its property. The first weekend workshop is Feb. 8-10. Registration is available on the farm’s website.
Eastern North Carolina
- Little Creek Market in Walstonburg will offer freshly cut N.C. Christmas trees starting Nov. 17. The market also will host Cookies with Santa on Nov. 24. Little Creek Market is located at 4428 Lewis Store Road.
- Lu Mil Vineyard in Elizabethtown transforms into a Christmas village for its annual Festival of Lights celebration. Guests can drive through thousands of lights and decorations, visit with Santa, enjoy a country buffet and shop for unique holiday gifts. The festival operates Nov. 24-25; Nov. 29-Dec. 2; Dec. 6-9; and Dec. 13-23.
- Twiddle Dee Farm in Clinton offers farmstays every weekend through the holiday season.
Central North Carolina
- 1870 Farm in Chapel Hill will host its Holiday Hayride with Santa, Dec. 2-24. Guests can tour the 17-acre farm on a hayride with Santa.
- Almond Farms in Albemarle offers choose-and-cut Christmas trees, wreaths, a gift shop and more. The farm will open for the holiday season on Nov. 23 and operate Thursdays-Sundays through Christmas.
- Deans Farm Market in Wilson is open for Christmas tree field trips throughout December. Each field trip includes visits with Mrs. Claus, Christmas story, agriculture class about N.C. Christmas trees and a visit to the Christmas tree lot. The farm also will hold Santa’s Workshop on Dec. 22 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets are available online.
- Flint Rock Farm in Cameron will host a “Christmas on the Farm” day camp on Dec. 1 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Participants will learn about Christmas trees, take a nature walk to make ornaments, decorate Christmas cookies and go on pony rides. Pre-registration is required by calling 910-263-9366.
- Hipp Farms Corn Maze & Field of Fun in Fuquay-Varina will offer Christmas-themed hayrides through its corn field Fridays-Sundays running from Nov. 24-Dec. 29.
- Jordan Lake Christmas Tree Farm in Apex offers choose-and-cut Christmas trees, Fraser firs, wreaths, roping and family activities. The farm is open Nov. 17-18, 23-25, and 28-30 and Dec. 1-2, 5-9, and 12-16.
- Smith’s Family Fun Farm in Hillsborough will be open for the Christmas season Nov. 23-Dec. 24. The farm grows pine and cedar trees, and also has a selection of Fraser firs and wreaths.