- The Council on Aging of Buncombe County was formed in 1964 to address the needs of seniors in our community
- We provide essential support to people over 60 who need assistance with food, heat or a/c, and health care
- Our volunteers make this work possible– consider joining us today!
Our Mission Statement: Promote the Independence, dignity, and well-being of adults through service, education, and advocacy
We are looking for volunteers to work with low-income Medicare recipients as an unbiased, knowledgeable guide, providing education and assistance with navigating through the application process to help them receive much-needed assistance with the following programs:
- Medicare Part D Extra Help/Low-Income Subsidy (LIS)
- Medicare Savings Programs
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly known as Food Stamps)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
The safety of our clients is our highest priority. Here’s what’s required for this role:
- Clear criminal background check and driving record.
- Minimum $100,000/300,000 in auto liability coverage.
- Orientation and training with the Council on Aging.
- A reliable vehicle that will pass NC safety inspection.
Additionally, we are very flexible and will work with your schedule.
Who would make a strong candidate for this volunteer role?
- You care about seniors and want to support those who need help most
- A resident of Buncombe County, NC, or a nearby town.
- Someone willing to learn basic education about the Benefits Enrollment Center (BEC) and what benefits are available for lower-income Seniors.
- Someone willing to receive education about outreach, what larger events entail, and how to assist with these events.
- Someone willing to travel around Buncombe County and set up a table at outreach events, educating the community on the services offered at Council on Aging and the Benefits Enrollment Center.
- Someone able to assist clients with benefits applications and maintain awareness of changes to income guidelines.
If you want to help make a difference in the lives of real people right here in western North Carolina, we would love to welcome you on board as a volunteer.